Saturday, March 31, 2012

INSIGHT AND INTIMACY, part 2

2 Chronicles 1:7-10 – 7That night God appeared to Solomon and said to him, “Ask for whatever you want me to give you.” 8Solomon answered God, “You have shown great kindness to David my father and have made me king in his place. 9Now, LORD God, let your promise to my father David be confirmed, for you have made me king over a people who are as numerous as the dust of the earth. 10Give me wisdom and knowledge, that I may lead this people, for who is able to govern this great people of yours?”

            David is described in Scripture as a man after God’s own heart. “One thing I ask of the Lord, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to seek him in his temple…. Hear my voice when I call, O Lord; be merciful to me and answer me.  My heart says of you, ‘Seek his face!’ Your face, Lord I will seek.” (Psalms 27: 4, 7-8)
            God so created us that life does not flow out of knowledge. What we do comes out of passion and desire. People generally find it uncomfortable speaking about affections yet Jonathan Edwards reveals this is the motivator of our lives.
            Since the Garden of Eden we have chosen to be insight-driven instead of intimacy-driven. We are more comfortable living a life knowing good and evil instead of living with total dependence upon God.
            A ramification of this decision is a craving for information. We have more information today than anyone can fully assimilate and it has not made any difference in the human condition. The heart is becoming increasingly wicked with every passing generation. From the Garden of Eden came a fear of intimacy and the pursuit of knowledge.
            Formulas and procedures are the only recourse for character development; “Ten steps to accomplish…” or “Twelve steps to fulfill….”  Programs fill daily organizers in preference to seeking God during the dark moments of life and trusting Him. 
            The inner core of a person is sustained by intimacy with God. Out of love emerges transformational living. Purpose flows out of the overflow of one’s relationship with God.
            David’s son Solomon is a testimony of being insight-driven. God appeared to him in a dream and asked a question few, if any, could adequately handle: “Ask for whatever you want Me to give you?”  He requested great wisdom.
            Solomon was the one man in history uniquely endowed by God with knowledge. The most insightful person to ever live, however, saw life as meaningless.
            Solomon built an extravagant palace and majestic temple. He attempted to leave a legacy through buildings and achievements. The ornate edifices left him feeling empty inside.
            Scripture does not record God ever coming to Solomon’s father with the same offer. How would David have responded? His testimony in Psalms 27 is of a person hungering after God and passionately seeking His face. He was intimacy-driven.
            Comparing these two world-changers, Solomon wanted wisdom and David wanted God.  Solomon’s choice was good. God affirmed his decision.  However, whenever a person asks for less than God, it is less then God intended.  Good is the greatest enemy of best.
            Achievements are measured by outcomes.  What was David’s accomplishment?  In spite of failures and sin, his legacy is a man after God’s own heart. What was Solomon’s realization?  With all his wisdom, he became a world-class skeptic. He experienced cynicism, emptiness, frustration and despair. Insight does not satisfy the search for meaning.
            In my opinion the Song of Songs was written by young Solomon, Proverbs written by middle-age Solomon and Ecclesiastes written by older Solomon. What thoughts captivated his mind near life’s conclusion?

Solomon’s growing sense of meaningless. (Chapter 1)

            “The words of the Teacher, son of David, king in Jerusalem: ‘Meaningless! Meaningless!’ says the Teacher, ‘Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless.’” (Ecclesiastes 1:1-2) Within cynicism is a sense of hopelessness. He wondered, “Does anything really make a difference?”
            The earth seems to endlessly move on, generation after generation. Nothing changes. “What does man gain from all his labor at which he toils under the sun?  Generations come and generations go, but the earth remains forever.” (Vs. 3-4)
            In his wisdom Solomon watched the events of his day and could not find purpose in anything. A growing frustration developed. “I have seen all the things that are done under the sun; all of them are meaningless, a chasing after the wind.  What is twisted cannot be straightened; what is lacking cannot be counted.” (Vs. 14-15)
            This is the end product of an insight-driven life. The more we rely on understanding, the more meaningless life appears. “I thought to myself, ‘Look, I have grown and increased in wisdom more than anyone who has ruled over Jerusalem before me; I have experienced much of wisdom and knowledge.’  Then I applied myself to the understanding of wisdom, and also of madness and folly, but I learned that this, too is chasing after the wind.  For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more grief.” (Vs. 16-18)

Solomon’s sinking sense of despair. (Chapter 2)

            To guard against a deep frustration consuming the soul, insight-driven people take elaborate means to fill their life. Solomon searched for meaning through enjoyment and amusement. “I thought in my heart, ‘Come now, I will test you with pleasure to find out what is good.’  But that also proved to be meaningless.  ‘Laughter,’ I said, ‘is foolish.  And what does pleasure accomplish?’” (2:1-2)
            Solomon searched for meaning through intoxicating beverage and wild living. “I tried cheering myself with wine, and embracing folly – my mind still guiding me with wisdom.  I wanted to see what was worthwhile for men to do under heaven during the few days of their lives.” (V. 3)
            Solomon searched for meaning through building efforts and land conservation. “I undertook great projects: I built houses for myself and planted vineyards.  I made gardens and parks and planted all kinds of fruit trees in them.  I made reservoirs to water groves of flourishing trees.” (Vs. 4-6)
            Solomon searched for meaning by accumulating servants and possessions. “I bought male and female slaves and had other slaves who were born in my house.  I also owned more herds and flocks than anyone in Jerusalem before me.  I amassed silver and gold for myself, and the treasure of kings and provinces.  I acquired men and women singers, and a harem as well – the delights of the heart of man.” (Vs. 7-8)
            Even in a variety of admirable accomplishments, there remained a deep sense of barrenness. “Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind; nothing was gained under the sun.” (V.11)
            Solomon was eventually shaken by a troublesome question: With his great achievements, what would his heir do? “What more can the king’s successor do than what has already been done?” (V.12)
            The king led with great wisdom – the beauty, wealth and political alliances he attained were complete. There was nothing for his descendant to finish. Solomon grieved that his accomplishments might be handed-over to an absolute fool. He was troubled with the thought of an incompetent offspring. His son Rehoboam affirmed his anxiety.
            Solomon sought a life of enduring and lasting value through insight. He worried at what would happen when he was gone. History reveals his great achievements (the best wisdom could produce) would eventually disintegrate into nothing.
            Solomon had a wealth of understanding yet his thoughts spiraled downward to gloom and despondency.

Solomon regains a sense of timing. (Chapter 3)

            “There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven….” (Chapter 3:1) He then gives a comprehensive overview of life. Living includes things that are profound (birth and death) and mundane (mending and throwing away).
            Solomon is challenging people to fit in with the flow of life. Living is joyful and peaceful when things are done in the right season.
            How often do you say, “I don’t have time; I’m too busy!” You are convinced there is too much to do and not enough time.
            The lives of most people are characterized by a sense of rush. The activities demanding attention and energy may very well be good things. Every endeavor can be rightfully classified as important. Every venture is worthwhile and beneficial. Time is not wasted on frivolous things.
            There is enough time to accomplish everything God has designed for you. A wholesome and natural timing is achievable through an intimate relationship with God. With a failure of intimacy, we overload ourselves with things God never intended.
            Where does a sense of rush, pressure and stress come from? Doing things not planned for us and doing right things at the wrong time. When Solomon says there is a time for everything he is not merely referring to clock time (sufficient hours in a day) but fitting time (doing things at the appropriate moment). We bring stress upon ourselves when our timing is wrong. Everything ends up appearing meaningless.
            In frustration believers fight the things God is doing in them and bringing to them. Some refuse to be “sick” (treat an illness) and keep going. Could God be attempting to speak through the illness?
            One of the greatest tragedies is witnessing people load up their schedule instead of giving attention to the home. Solomon’s challenge is not only to do the right things but to do them at the right time. Our hearts are kept from frustration and anger when we remember that God has a sovereign plan and timetable for every experience of life.
            During my last year associated with Trinity Bible College, the decision was made to seek accreditation with the NCA (North Central Association of Colleges and Schools). The Academic Dean did a masterful job of coordinating the project.
            The school had a unique leadership arrangement. The President was a highly-successful, nationally-known television personality with an extensive traveling schedule, overseeing a private association. The Executive Vice-President gave oversight to the institution on behalf of the President. The configuration was not the norm in Higher Education. The NCA encouraged structural changes; they asked the College Board to consider a more traditional model.
            The President decided to become Chancellor and nominated me for the title President. I encouraged the Board of Regents to first perform due diligence and make a final determination at the next regularly scheduled meeting. This gave me the summer for reflection and prayer.
            Six months later the appropriate research was complete. After careful review they unanimously gave me the invitation to become President. I declined the offer. Many were surprised, both on and off the campus.
            What brought about this decision?
            Did I feel unqualified? Anyone asked to give leadership rarely feels qualified – there are too many unknowns. Leadership is best accomplished by total dependence upon God. The qualifying factor is the Lord. Personal deficiencies become neutralized when walking reverently before Him.
            Could I do the job? The President helped the Board of Regents define the mission of the college, used his sizable influence to recruit students, lent personal resources to promote the institution and expected me to provide hands-on leadership of the college. Out of our friendship and his encouragement I was already doing many presidential duties. I greatly appreciated and valued his trust.
            Why not take the title? During the months spent thinking and praying my home came to mind. My oldest daughter went through High School while I was helping the college. Serving on eighteen committees, chairing nine of them, there was little time for attending her school events. I was traveling frequently, promoting the school. With three more children to raise it was wrong to continue being an absent father. My life no longer had the joy associated with doing something meaningful.
            I declined the offer because the time was not right for this young family man. I would not have been able to adequately address the critical demands of college leadership and the needs of the home.
            Do I feel it was the right response? A few months after relocating to Chicago, the church’s statewide superintendent was at our home for a meal. During the course of table talk he asked our youngest son what he liked most about Chicago. We thought he would say something about attending major league sporting events, amusement parks or world-class museums. He replied, “I get to see my dad more.” The correct decision was made.
            Being President of Trinity Bible College would have been a great privilege. Investing in the lives of young people was rewarding. Influencing world-changers was humbling. However, the legacy of a parent is their children. The four offspring, entrusted to Brenda and my stewardship, love the Lord and are deeply engaged in Kingdom work.
            I once again have the exciting opportunity of investing into young lives; this time by coaching High School Volleyball. The joy of hanging out with impressionable minds and helping to shape their future is closely associated with timing.
            When designed by God, there is a time for every experience in life.

Solomon’s refreshing sense of intimacy.

            The meaninglessness, emptiness, frustration and despair prevalent in many people can be dealt a decisive blow through intimacy with the Lord. “Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man.” (Chapter 12:13)
            What cannot be resolved by insight becomes finalized through intimacy. There will be no loose ends, nothing left undone, when life is built on a love relationship with the Lord. He is the only explanation for everything involved in life. Insight will never do what intimacy is designed to do.
            If you are struggling with a sense of worthlessness, it could be a testimony of pursuing insight at the sacrifice of intimacy.  The emphasis of Scriptures is not “understand and know” but “trust and obey.” The quest for meaning is through friendship with God.

2 comments:

  1. Great post, Dad. I'm thankful for your investment in family. I'm sure I have a wonderful husband because of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good insight Dad. Great link between David and Solomon and intimacy and insight. I will hopefully find the time to read your other posts as well :-).

    ReplyDelete