Saturday, February 13, 2016

JOB

            Last time gave emphasis to Moses. His life of prayer provides clues about intercessory praying. God is looking for followers of Jesus that are willing to stand in the gap for the church. The opposite practice is to grumble. Will you be an intercessor?
            [If everything you read is supposed to make you feel good, you may want to stop reading right now and wait for next week’s reflections.]
            The story about the Biblical character of Job gives attention to unpleasant feelings that prompt prayers. In particular, Job’s unhappy experiences generated complaints to God. What does prayer look like when circumstances defy all rational explanation, or when there are more questions than can ever be answered, or when the answer is not what you want to hear? Moments do occur when you have to live with the worse while hoping for the best, way more times than anyone wishes.
            I am the last remaining member of my family. After deciding to follow Jesus in high school, I hoped to see my family come to an awareness of the Savior from sin. I prayed, lived for Jesus around them, talked to them as opportunities would allow, and invited them to church, yet I never saw a single family member come to Christ before they passed away. I now live with the worst and place all my trust in the Judge who always does right. Thankfully a niece discovered the Truth, the Life and the Way on her own, although experiencing things I wish would never had happened. She is a great wife and mom, has a wonderful family, and cares deeply for others. Her coming to Christ causes me great joy in midst of heartache.
            I have also had a nervous twitch all my life. My sister often wondered about it when I was a little boy, and my wife comments about it from time to time.
            The twitch occurs in mostly my neck but sometimes in my mid-section. In public I can usually control and minimize the distraction, but privately they happen occasionally and last for a several moments.
            What fascinates me is a strange and holy calmness comes upon me when in the midst of a severe crisis or while going through an intense conflict. The more extreme the dilemma, the calmer I become, and the compulsion to twitch does not surface until the situation is over. After the storm passes, however, prolonged neck or stomach spasms often follow, sort of like a relief value discharging pent up pressure.
            I have asked the Lord on numerous occasions to remove this physical disorder, or to show me what bodily exercises or mental training will eliminate them. His loving response to me comes across as, “Live with it! There are worse things the human body can experience than muscle spasms.” Some unknown good reason exists, but I find the malady very trying and also humbling. I am constantly reminded about the infirmity of humanity.

Misery

            Job cried in the midst of a prolonged and debilitating agony, “Oh that I might have my request, and that God would fulfill my hope, that it would please God to crush me, that he would let loose his hand and cut me off!” (Job 6:8-9 ESV) Was he actually wanting to die and spend eternity away from God? Talking to the Lord in this manner suggest He was in an extreme state of misery.
            People experiencing anguish lose sight of life. Have you ever wondered if praying for life to end is really that uncommon? If the secrets of the soul were clearly exposed, the percentage of those with similar feelings may well be high. Thankfully, nowhere in Scripture does a single incident occur where God honors such an emotional outcry.
            Some would contend, “Shame on Job for thinking and especially talking to the Lord this way!” But Scripture does not record any condemnatory alarms bells sounding in heaven for stating honest feelings and speaking truthfully. In fact, it appears that expressing his genuine feelings in prayer triggered the divine revelation that brought a completed picture of Glory, leading to his recovery. The last part of Job’s story even reveals emotional frustrations and verbal complaints did not deprive him of future blessings. Does the Lord prefer people to be candidly honest with Him, instead of playing some form of positive thinking game and calling it faith?
            When experiencing trouble, people often develop an inability to discern divine intentions or see beyond the present. God may appear distant. The result is a wrestling match fought in an arena created by the devil, the master of accentuated darkness. There are no flawless feelings or one-size-fits-all approaches to the darker moments of life. People simply hang on to the little they know until God appears.
            The struggle caused within the heart and played out in unpleasant surroundings can bring a person very close to losing complete mental and emotional equilibrium. When inflamed and confused, the human mind can end up yielding to disappointment and despair, and end up thinking in distorted ways. The person cannot see beyond the circumstances yet, fortunately, the brutal condition naturally drives them to search. When there is no extreme pressure, no shining diamonds of priceless value will ever emerge.

What if?

            One very real scenario is especially difficult for most people to wrap their head around and accept; namely, being set free may not be in the divine plan. Even though not fully understood or preferred, a permanent “thorn in the flesh” may be in the providence of God, yet not without benefit. (2 Corinthians 12:7-10) Can you grasp the meaning of a Lordship that includes no matter what, and yield to it?
            When in the middle of an unhappy situation, a feeling of assurance evaporates that a loving Lord has designed a good end. A person often loses sight of God as He truly is; sovereign.
            Paul wrote a letter to Timothy when death was eminent. He reveals to his assistant, although he had been spared on numerous occasions, he would not escape death this time. His comments show someone accepting his situation and discovering a different kind of peace. (2 Timothy 4:6-8, 17-18)
            A heavenly harmony is available both by acceptance as well as by deliverance, when someone is fully yielded to the supreme plan of God.

Clues

            The friends of Job could not paint a legitimate portrait of what was happening and neither I, nor anyone else, can create an accurate picture of your troubles. Yet from Job’s complaints and actions come clues that can help while you wait for God to come on the scene.
            First, “What is man, that you make so much of him, and that you set your heart on him, visit him every morning and test him every moment? How long will you not look away from me, nor leave me alone till I swallow my spit?” (Job 7:17-19 ESV) Even should you feel that you do not want Him nearby, during distressing moments the Lord is intimately close and deeply cares about every detail of life, such as saliva in the mouth.
            Secondly, “Then Job answered the LORD and said: ‘Behold, I am of small account; what shall I answer you? I lay my hand on my mouth. I have spoken once, and I will not answer; twice, but I will proceed no further.’” (Job 40:3-5 ESV) No one can provide a justifiable complaint, or give a self-centered defense, or match wits with God and expect righteous vindication.
            Finally, “Then Job answered the LORD and said: ‘I know that you can do all things, and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted … I had heard of you by the hearing of the ear, but now my eye sees you; therefore, I despise myself, and repent in dust and ashes.’” (Job 42:1-2, 5-6 ESV) Answers are discovered by seeing and not just hearing. His presence is the solution. The remedy involves experiencing God, instead of just acquiring more data and facts about your situation.
            Abundant living is about traveling a path with a Person, more than implementing a plan established upon principles. Jesus is the Way. The path is a Person, a journey filled with unknowns, involving much faith and little sight.

One final thought

            Isaac Watts in the classic church hymn “At the Cross” included a phrase that was eventually considered offensive and changed to soften unsettling feelings in the politically correct era: “Alas! And did my Savior bleed, And did my Sovereign die? Would he devote that sacred head, For such a worm as I?” An uncomfortable synonym for many, but Scripture describes godly people as worms, a creature crawling along with a slimy understanding of life. (Isaiah 41:14) The word is even used twice in Job’s story.
            Everyone needs from time to time a good healthy reminder of not being super great. Be prepared to be knocked down a couple of notches occasionally, and while you are at it, avoid mispresenting the Lord by saying something you will regret later.
            When Job saw himself through God’s greatness, his humble confession ended the emotional turmoil played out in his soul. Besides, by having a more accurate outlook he ended up in a position to soar to greater heights of divine blessing.
            If feeling like Job, take heart, a pristine peace is close at hand and blessings will undoubtedly follow. Wait for God and do not accept anything less.

No comments:

Post a Comment