Saturday, March 5, 2016

DAVID

            Different Bible characters can help deepen your prayer life.  Moses shows intercessory prayer as the most unselfish kind of praying. Job shows the importance of embracing God’s sovereignty during life’s darker moments. Samuel shows the need of knowing the voice of God, the central issue of prayer being hearing and obeying His voice.  David shows the value of blending petitions with praise.
            The Word of God is increasingly losing influence in shaping the thoughts and lives of men and women throughout the country. More and more of the stories contained in Scripture are not known by the general population, or known inaccurately, such as an apple being the forbidden fruit in the Garden of Eden and the large fish swallowing Jonah being a whale. Probably some of the last stories of the Bible that will be forgotten in America involves the life of David.

David

            If someone walking on a busy downtown sidewalk was asked, “What stories do you know in Scripture?” no doubt some would mention David fighting Goliath, or David having sexual relations with Bathsheba. Yet the greatest lessons coming from his life surround his devotion to prayer. Although the man was not perfect by any means, he attempted to have his life ruled by constant dialogue with God.
            When reading the numerous psalms penned by King David, a pattern of praise and petition is readily seen. Do your prayers reflect a balance between praising and petitioning God? The entranceway to the heavenly throne is praise, bringing you into His presence. An audience with the Lord, where petitions can be laid at His feet, is made possible by thanksgiving and praise.
            The human heart and soul should blend and balance praise and petition. David praised God for all things and with all means, including musical instruments and choral songs. His praise was not defined by mindless chants and excessive redundancy. His actions were not what is normally witnessed at high school pep rallies, repeatedly shouting simple phrases in an effort to build excitement and enthusiasm. His psalms show a heart moved and inspired by the Holy Spirit, expressing deep-seated groanings for an encounter with God, often too unfathomable for human comprehension.

Praise

            From David gain a sense of divine melody:
            For the director of music. To the tune of The Death of the Son. A psalm of David. I will give thanks to the LORD with my whole heart; I will recount all of your wonderful deeds. I will be glad and exult in you; I will sing praise to your name, O Most High. (Psalm 9:1-2 ESV)
            A psalm. A song. For the Sabbath day. It is good to give thanks to the LORD, to sing praises to your name, O Most High; to declare your steadfast love in the morning, and your faithfulness by night, to the music of the lute and the harp, to the melody of the lyre. For you, O LORD, have made me glad by your work; at the works of your hands I sing for joy. (Psalm 92:1-4 ESV)
            A psalm of praise. Of David. I will extol you, my God and King, and bless your name forever and ever. Every day I will bless you and praise your name forever and ever. Great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised, and his greatness is unsearchable. (Psalm 145:1-3 ESV)

Petition

            Also from David gain a sense of holy supplication. David’s petitions encompass a variety of situations and circumstances:
            Petition for guidance – “Lead me, O LORD, in your righteousness because of my enemies; make your way straight before me.” (Psalm 5:8 ESV)
            Petition for cleansing from hidden and willful sin – “Who can discern his errors? Declare me innocent from hidden faults. Keep back your servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me! Then I shall be blameless, and innocent of great transgression.” (Psalm 19:12-13 ESV)
            Petition for blessing – “Make your face shine on your servant; save me in your steadfast love!” (Psalm 31:16 ESV)
            Petition for right words and thoughts – “Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O LORD, my rock and my redeemer.” (Psalm 19:14 ESV)
            Petition for help when overwhelmed – “Save me, O God! For the waters have come up to my neck. I sink in deep mire, where there is no foothold; I have come into deep waters, and the flood sweeps over me. I am weary with my crying out; my throat is parched. My eyes grow dim with waiting for my God.” (Psalm 69:1-3 ESV)

Blend

            Prayers should be a blending of petitions and praise. “May God be gracious to us and bless us and make his face to shine upon us, Selah. … Let the peoples praise you, O God; let all the peoples praise you!” (Psalm 67:1, 3 ESV)
            These personal reflections are much shorter than normal. Will you use the time normally spent on reading today for talking with God? Come into His presence with thanksgiving in your heart, and enter His gates with praise right now, then with gladness of heart lay your burdens before Him. (Psalm 100) Do not delay!

No comments:

Post a Comment